There’s no doubt you’ve already heard about Instagram, and we can tell you that the minimalist social network is where it’s at. Anyone who has ever had an Instagram account knows that no other social platform is quite as good at turning a “Nicky-No-Name” into an overnight celebrity – and you definitely want a piece of that pie as a business owner, don’t you?
Here, we’re going to cover some basics on getting started, benefits and top tips regarding what your strategy, posts and pics should look like in order to stand a better chance of “going viral.” There are a couple of fundamentals that you must follow on Instagram if you want to win over hearts and minds of potential customers. These include:
• Properly Filling in Your Account – As basic as it gets, you want to make sure you’ve filled in all of the information requested by your profile; as simple as it seems, a complete profile is the first step to being a proper Instagrammer. Also, properly linking your Instagram account to your Facebook account is a must.
• Understanding Hashtags are Vital – Hashtags are the beating heart of your Instagram post; they’re the only way it’s going to go anywhere. By using hashtags, you’re allowing prospective customers to search for and find your post.
• Connecting to Those with Influence – Like all communities, Instagram is, at its core, a big old class system – the more powerful (that is, those with more followers) have the ability to change the lives of one of the “Insta paupers” with a single repost. Where Instagram differs from the real world is that you can now throw your work “right in front of their faces,” so to speak.
With those out of the way, let’s look at some tips for having your Instagram world go viral…
• Red Means Stop – Photos dominated by the color red have been psychologically proven to make a viewer stop in their tracks (especially male viewers, who associate the color red with intimacy). You can guarantee attention by offering up red-colored images.
• Snap with Celebrities – Ride on some coattails; if you have the ability to take a selfie with a celebrity, you’ve got instant access to their fan base…thus, almost infinite amounts of “likes.”
• Subject Matter That Excites – Here’s a quick rundown of the most popular Instagrammable objects: Bikinis, revolvers, perfume and puppies. A list of the least includes kitchen utensils, golf carts and tools. In other words, what we’re trying to say here is it doesn’t matter how much that diamond-encrusted bespoke plunger cost you…it’s not an Instagram like-fest magnet.
While the world of Instagram popularity is far from understood, there are a few things that we do know that help your “like” count of a post…and that’s vital for your business in this day and age.